Gigi Guadagnucci

Gigi Guadagnucci has been sculpting since 1944. He has been described as being so in tune with his medium and able to mold it so fluidly and freely, that it is as if the marble is a part of the artist’s physical being.

Born in Massa, Italy, in 1915, Guadagnucci came to learn about and love his medium, Carrara marble, at a young age. He was first introduced to the material and its possibilities for sculpting by visiting the marble workshop in his home town. In 1936 he moved to Grenoble, France, where he and Emile Giliou founded a cultural and artistic foundation. Since this achievement he has become a very well-known artist, particularly in Paris.

1967 Guadagnucci entered the Grenoble Symposium where he installed a large marble sculpture entitled The Orchid (1963) in Paul Mistral Park. The Orchid is an important example of his works depicting flowers, where sharp cuts and concave lines create intense contract and chiaroscuro. At this particular point in time, Guadagnucci’s work began to branch off into two direction: those which were monumental and those which are smaller projects. In either case, all of his pieces have been maintained focus on the use of contrast between light and dark and the flexibility of the light.

Throughout the 1970’s, Guadagnucci sculpted many pieces, both public and private, throughout the United States, Brazil and France, as well as sculpting for the Sporting Club in Monte Carlo (1974), the Strasbourg Concert and Congress Hall (1975) and the Palace of the Sultan of Brunei (1983). His works have been found in many of the homes of sculpture collectors such as Baron Rothschild, Helena Rubinstein, and Prince Rainier of Monaco.

In the creation of his sculpture, Guadagnucci has never lost his rural roots in Massa. The dramatic cuttings of the mountains and the knotting and gnarling of the ancient trees have been the primary inspiration for his works.